Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Little Things

Sometime it seems like hair just isn't growing.  Of course, waiting for hair to grow is far worse than watching a pot boil.  Yet there are surprising little things that one notices from month to month or even from week to week.  


Perhaps I'll try a hairstyle that I couldn't do a month ago because my hair was too short, but I can do it now.  Maybe I'll feel hair brushing against my arm or my back and know that I didn't feel it there even last week.

Only a couple of months ago, I couldn't reach up behind my back and grab my hair without leaning my head back a bit.  Today I can grab a good inch between my fingers with my head held high.

I think of these things as mini-milestones. They're not the major markers of hair growth like hitting shoulder length, or having my hair falling below the line of my shoulder blades, but they're pleasant little moments just the same.

Little things, little pleasures, little surprises--that's what keeps me going. 

That's also why I take monthly progress photos.  I may not see much or any difference from one month to the next, but if I look at a photo from three months earlier, what a change!

Growing long hair really is a journey, it's not a sprint.  Enjoy and savour every moment of it.  The length will come in time.  

In the meantime, enjoy the little things along the way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment